The following message was sent to families in our programs:
With the winter recess coming to an end, I am providing a summary of the positive COVID-19 cases within our BOCES since December 22 as promised. In each of these cases, we immediately contacted families and staff directly impacted as well as sent an email to this school community.
- 12/28 – staff positive, no contact tracing necessary due to extended absence
- 12/28 – two students positive, no contact tracing necessary due to extended absences
Paul Puccio School at Maple Hill
- 12/29 – staff positive, no contact tracing necessary due to extended absence
- 1/3 – staff positive, no contact tracing necessary due to extended absence
- 12/23 – two student positives, 30 students and 4 staff quarantined
- 1/2 – staff positive, no contact tracing necessary due to extended absence
Sackett Educational Center
- 12/26 – student positive, no impact
- 12/27 – staff positive, 5 students and 3 staff quarantined
This morning, we met with our superintendents and county departments of health to discuss positivity rates, testing and vaccinations across Rensselaer, Columbia, and Greene counties. Throughout the break, we have been monitoring the pandemic in cooperation with these local leaders.
Looking ahead, we must continue to exercise caution and restraint amid rising case numbers and hospitalizations. While the metrics for entering one of the state’s micro-clusters are complicated, we are prepared to successfully implement the random testing of students and staff if required.
Please continue to do your part in controlling the spread of COVID-19 by completing our daily heath screening, wearing masks or face coverings, practicing social distancing, washing your hands, avoiding gatherings and travel to high infection rate states, and staying home if you are sick or awaiting test results.
We also ask families to be prepared to go remote at any time, out of necessity, for one or more of the following reasons:
- Staff shortages due to mandatory quarantine
- Time needed for contact tracing
- County, regional, or statewide mandates
- Widespread infection
- Precautionary measures to prevent widespread infection
Ultimately, our goal is to remain open for students and staff as long as we are able, as this is the best environment for learning. We thank you for your continued assistance in making this possible.
We look forward to welcoming our students back for in-person instruction tomorrow.
Happy New Year!
Chief Academic Officer
Questar III BOCES