Archives / Records Management
Questar III makes it simple for staff to archive and retrieve important records and items.
- Series: Any combination of records with like functions and /or disposition dates.
- Naming Convention – A uniform naming system for files created or maintained in your department.
- Retention Period: Number of years a series must be accessible.
- Disposition Date: The earliest date records may be destroyed.
- Official Copy: This is the only version of a file (regardless of medium), to be maintained as a permanent part of a record. Official is not necessarily original, but the version deemed, by the department Administrator, to be the one Official Copy for retention.
Selecting Records for Storage
- Active files should be regularly updated.
- Only three years of active files should be maintained on site.
- Only official copies are to be stored long-term.
- Duplicates may be disposed of when no longer needed.
- Each storage box will hold one or more series.
- Standardized boxes will be issued upon request from warehouse personnel.
- Contact Matthew Maxon (Warehouse Manager) at 273-6402 or Matthew.Maxon@questar.org
- Boxes accommodate both legal and letter size files.
- Records will only be accepted for storage if packed in standardized boxes.
Transferring Records to Storage
- Determine the records to be stored.
- Records should be purged of unnecessary and/or duplicate documents.
- No binders or hanging folders will be accepted.
- Fill out a work order through the QueCenter to arrange for pickup of packed boxes.
Storage Box Labels
Each storage box must have a label identifying its contents. Download a fillable PDF available here.
Directions for completion of the Storage Box Label are:
- Choose your department’s name from the drop down menu. This field is editable to allow specificity.
- Custodian name (position of the person responsible for records in your department).
- Use the drop down menu in the date field to choose a month and add the year in yyyy format.
- Do not fill out Box #; this field is filled out by the warehouse manager.
- Description of contents. This field is expandable to allow for greater detail.
- Retention period and disposition date, per your department’s retention schedule
- Attach the completed form and email to Matthew.Maxon@questar.org
Part II will be completed by the Warehouse Manager and emailed back when complete. Storage of your completed labels (paper or digital) will provide easy access.
- Storage location
- Disposition method
- Warehouse Manager’s signature
- Final Disposition date
You will be notified about final disposition and offered an opportunity to review boxes prior to shredding.
Retrieving Records from Storage
Fill out a work order through the QueCenter to arrange for record retrieval. Information on the records’ location will be included on the completed label.