Pathways in Education
Pathways in Education is an exciting program focused on preparing students for a career in the field of education.
This half-day program for seniors is located at the University at Albany’s uptown campus. Students will have the opportunity to complete college courses each semester. These courses are directly applicable to a variety of educational careers.
Along with the college coursework, this program has class time to cover additional educational topics and incorporates hands-on experiences including observations, shadowing, and internship experiences with a variety of inspiring professionals in the field of education.
Students are supported along the way to help them successfully make the transition from high school to college level work. This program prepares students with the content knowledge and experience to continue their coursework toward a degree in education. Students also have mastery of the content needed to obtain a New York State Level 1 Teaching Assistant certification for immediate employment.
- Gain an understanding of educational theory and practice
- Develop knowledge and skills needed to address diverse learning styles, backgrounds and needs in a classroom
- Learn general theories and concepts related to major aspects of human behavior
- Discover effective classroom management strategies and applications
- Investigate relevant topics in education
- Explore and identify career goals
- Complete shadowing/internship experiences with educational professionals
- Understand New York state certification requirements
- Exploring Teaching as a Profession (ETAP 201) — 3 credits (through the University at Albany)
Industry-Based Certifications (attainable through the program)
- Certification Workshops in Preparation for Employment in an Education Field
- American Heart Association CPR
- Assessment of Teaching Assistant Skills Test Framework (eligible to take upon graduation)
Related Career Opportunities
- Teaching Assistant
- Preschool Teacher
- Elementary Teacher
- Middle or High School Content Area Teacher
- Special Education Teacher
- English to Speakers of Other Languages Teacher
- School Counselor
- Related Careers including Psychologist, Social Worker, Occupational Therapist