Pathways in Education
Pathways in Education is an exciting program focused on preparing students for a career in the field of education.
This half-day program for seniors will be located at the University at Albany’s uptown campus. Students will have the opportunity to complete college courses each semester. These courses are directly applicable to a variety of educational careers.
Along with the college coursework, this program will have class time to cover additional educational topics and will incorporate hands-on experiences including observations, shadowing, and internship experiences with a variety of inspiring professionals in the field of education.
Students will be supported along the way to help them successfully make the transition from high school to college level work. This program will prepare students with the content knowledge and experience to continue their coursework towards a degree in education. Student will also have mastery of the content needed to obtain a New York State Level 1 Teaching Assistant certification for immediate employment.
- Gain an understanding of educational theory and practice
- Develop knowledge and skills needed to address diverse learning styles, backgrounds and needs in a classroom
- Learn general theories and concepts related to major aspects of human behavior
- Discover effective classroom management strategies and applications
- Investigate relevant topics in education
- Explore and identify career goals
- Complete shadowing/internship experiences with educational professionals
- Understand New York state certification requirements
- EN 101 Composition Writing and EN 102 Composition & Literature
- EN 211 Creative Writing and EN 212 Expository Writing
- ETAP 201 Exploring Teaching as a Profession
Industry-Based Certifications (attainable through program)
- Certification Workshops in Preparation for Employment in an Education Field
- American Heart Association CPR
- Assessment of Teaching Assistant Skills Test Framework (eligible to take upon graduation)
Related Career Opportunities
- Teaching Assistant
- Preschool Teacher
- Elementary Teacher
- Middle or High School Content Area Teacher
- Special Education Teacher
- English to Speakers of Other Languages Teacher
- School Counselor
- Related Careers including Psychologist, Social Worker, Occupational Therapist