Certified Nurse Assistant
Certified Nurse Assistant is a one-year, senior only program designed to prepare students for the NYS Nurse Assistant Certification and career in the health care field. Students are given classroom and hands-on lab instruction to prepare them for their off-site clinical rotation at a local nursing home. Students are able to transfer the knowledge and skills they learn and practice in the classroom to their work with residents in a long-term care setting. Throughout the year, students are given opportunities to perform a variety of community service activities to obtain the hours necessary for the NYS Nurse Assistant certification. Included in the program are guest speakers from the industry and college and career related field trips. Students will also complete a Senior Project related to healthcare. View the program flyer.
Characteristics of a successful student
- Interested in pursuing a career in healthcare
- Ability to multi-task
- Requires a caring, compassionate and considerate individual
- Excellent attendance is a must in order to obtain the hours needed for program certification
- Parental support of the career and CNA program.
Courses strongly recommended to take prior to enrollment at home school district
- Biology/Living Environment
- Chemistry (completed or taken while enrolled)
Curriculum and materials used
Curriculum follows the New York State Health Occupations Core Curriculum and New York State Certified Nursing Assistant curriculum
Textbook & Workbook: Mosby’s Essentials for Nursing Assistants 4th edition.
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Medical Terminology
- Infection Control
- Care of Elderly
- Lifting, moving, transportation and ambulation
- Surgery/Wound Care
- Comfort, Hygiene, and Grooming
- Clinical Experience
CNA students may be able to receive academic credit in the following subject area
- English 12 (1 credit)
- Health (.5 credit)
For more information on the availability of this option, please contact your home school counselor.
College credit available through the program
Maria College AAS Nursing Program
- Freshman Year Experience (FYE 102) for Nursing (1 credit)
- Free Elective (1 credit)
Successful Questar III CNA graduates meeting admission requirements will be given preferred admission status.
Related career opportunities
- Certified Nurse Assistant
- Hospital nurse assistant
- Nursing home/adult home assistant
- Rehabilitation aide
- Go on to further training for LPN/RN or other medical fields
Industry-Based Certifications (attainable through program)
- New York State Certified Nurse Assistant Certification
- American Heart Association CPR Certification for Healthcare Provider
New York State Nurse Assistant Certification Exam
Pass all three parts of the technical assessment: written, performance and portfolio
Must maintain attendance for eligibility to take the NYS CNA exam.
- Columbia Memorial Hospital
- Firemen’s Home
- Greene Commons
- Home Helpers
- Maria College
- Van Rensselaer Manor