Strong literacy skills are essential for success in today’s job market. Questar III’s Adult & Continuing Education department has a proud history of serving adults and delivering intensive, high quality literacy programs and services. These include:
- HSE preparation, Pre-HSE, and Adult Basic Education Programs
- English as a New Language (ENL): Formally ESL
- Official Practice Test for the HSE exam
- A NYS Education Department designated HSE Testing Center
- The first step to enroll is to call one of our adult education offices listed below and schedule an assessment appointment. Once your competencies and skill levels are determined, an experienced and qualified staff person will assist you in finding the program that best suits your skills and needs.
- All adult literacy programs have a money order registration fee that is good for one year of instruction and must be paid at the time of the assessment. If that is a financial hardship, we can offer a reduced rate on an individual basis with a written request.
- Programs meet in various community sites including: Columbia-Greene Educational Center, Rensselaer Educational Center, Troy YWCA, East Greenbush Community Library, Lansingburgh Public Library, Hudson Area Library, Catskill Public Library, Catskill Community Center, Cairo Public Library and Columbia Greene Community College. Click the links above or to the right to find a specific program, location, date and time.
Initial assessment is done in our program offices.
Rensselaer Educational Center, 35 Colleen Road, Troy, NY 12180 (518) 273-2264
Columbia-Greene Educational Center, 131 Union Turnpike, Hudson, NY 12534 (518) 828-4157
Catskill Public Library, 1 Franklin Street, Catskill, NY 12414 (518) 943-9434
If you wish to know about eligibility, schedules and program sites, or would like additional information, you may call any of the numbers above or email AdultEd@questar.org.
General Education Development Preparation Program (HSE)
This program is designed to prepare students to take the HSE exam. In order to be eligible for this program, students must be 21 years of age or older and have reading and math scores that are 9th grade level and above. Included are the five subject areas covered by the exam, as well as other essential academic competencies found in the NYS Common Core Standards such as Communication, Goal Setting, and Decision-Making. Classes are offered days and evenings.
Pre-HSE Preparation classes
This class is for students with reading levels between the 5th and 9th grade. It covers the five-subject areas of the HSE exam with emphasis on vocabulary and reading comprehension skills.
Adult Basic Education
This program is designed to encourage lower academic functioning and emergent readers with a mixture of decoding skills, phonics, vocabulary, and basic reading comprehension skills. This class is for students with K-4.9 reading grade equivalents.
English as a New Language (ENL): Formally ESL
This program teaches speaking, listening, reading and writing. This program is appropriate for students for whom English is not their first language, and are 21 years of age or older. You do not have to be an American citizen, but must have a green card. Day and evening classes are available.
Useful Adult Education Links
Columbia Greene NY Workforce Employment Career Center
HSE Testing Office