On Wednesday, March 16th, hundreds of high school students from eastern New York convened at Schenectady County Community College and the Stratton Air National Guard Base to participate in the SkillsUSA regional competition. Annual SkillsUSA competitions bring students together to showcase their career and technical talents.
Many of Questar III’s career and technical education (CTE) students from the Columbia-Greene Educational Center in Hudson, NY and the Rensselaer Educational Center in Troy, NY placed in the Top 5 in their competitions, qualifying them to participate in the New York State SkillsUSA championship in Syracuse, April 27-29, 2016.
SkillsUSA programs include local, state and national competitions in which students demonstrate technical and professional skills through hands-on and written contests in fields such as construction, cosmetology, culinary arts, first aid, information technology and welding. They compete against students from other regional CTE schools to win prizes, scholarships and the chance to participate in the state competition.
For 11 years in a row, Questar III students have placed in the Top 3 in statewide SkillsUSA competitions, and those who won first place have gone on to compete in national competitions in Louisville, Kentucky. This year will mark the 50th annual gathering of SkillsUSA competitors.
Founded in 1965, SkillsUSA is a national organization comprised of career and technical students, teachers and industry representatives who work together to ensure students have the skills they need to be successful in the workforce.
Columbia-Greene Educational Center – Hudson, NY
- Corey Winegard (Cairo-Durham) – Automotive Service Technology
- Victoria Henderson (Greenville) – First Aid/CPR
- Joseph Markham (Taconic Hills) – HVAC
- Sam Waite (Taconic Hills) – Internetworking
- Shylee Bain (Coxsackie-Athens) – Action Skills Basic
- Maggie Capra (Coxsackie-Athens) – Cosmetology Senior
- Parker Chase (Greenville) – HVAC
- Zachary Stickle (Taconic Hills) – Auto Vehicle Maintenance Basic
- TeeQuan Davis (Hudson) – Food Prep Basic
- Sarah Krizar (Ichabod Crane) – Cosmetology Junior
- Liam O’Connor (Greenville) – Job Interview
- Matthew Schoenewolf (Cairo-Durham) – Automotive Service Technology
Rensselaer Educational Center – Troy, NY
- Taylor Angrisano (Averill Park) – Crime Scene Investigation Team
- Brianna Nash (Averill Park) – Crime Scene Investigation Team
- Blaize Gilmore (Lansingburgh) – Crime Scene Investigation Team
- Christie Cullum (East Greenbush) – Job Interview
- Kalissa Genther (Lansingburgh) – Cosmetology Junior
- Christopher Salvati (Hoosic Valley) – Internetworking
- Alyssa Casatelli (East Greenbush) – Job Skill Demonstration Open
- Madison Paloski (East Greenbush) – Related Technical Math
- Paige Jacobs (Lansingburgh) – Cosmetology Senior
- Guillermo Chacon (Lansingburgh) – Cosmetology Junior
- Shane Barney (East Greenbush) – Carpentry
- Cody Chandler (Lansingburgh) – Culinary Arts
- Gregory Miller (Averill Park) – Internetworking